Sunday, March 18, 2012

Monkey Money

I have broken my own record of tardiness (which, let me tell you, is established) by taking almost exactly one year to publish this fantastic piece of art. I'll let you drool on it and then provide a little backstory.

So every word of this conversation between myself and my OTE Ms Yasuda (the lady who makes sure that I know what I'm doing and that everyone else also knows what I'm doing) actually happened. I was so delighted by her responses to my - let's call a spade a spade - shit-stirring that I immediately went and posted the whole thing verbatim to Facebook.
When the amazing Ben McDonough read it, he immediately set to work on the amazing piece of art you see here. I have it framed on my wall, so I get to see it every day, but I've done Ben a tremendous injustice by neglecting to show his work to my single digit readership for so long. Thanks for the great stuff, Ben. Keep it up!
There is a sort of method to my madness however; I recently finished my work at the school where this event took place. They treated me so well there. Every day I had conversations and adventures like the one depicted above. (See Jitensha Adventure for further blogworthy hijinks at this school) The promise of a visit to this school on Friday was sometimes literally the only thing that got me through the week. So I post this today in honour of that school, and specifically Yasuda Sensei and Kawashita Sensei, two of my favourite people in this amazing, wacky country. Thank you for 2 fantastic years! I'll never forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment